Thursday, August 20, 2015

a new project - 'elephant'. 100cm x 100cm

So I was commissioned back at the beginning of summer to paint a square piece of an elephant in vibrant colours. This was very exciting for me as I have never done animals before, but unfortunately, with other commissions, college work and various summer holidays I have only got round to starting it now. 

Here is the planning and progress so far...



this was the starting point - I printed out lots of pictures of elephants and various styles from which I could gather my ideas and come up with a composition and colour palette




in the end it was this picture I chose. Despite liking the tusks visible on some pictures, the face of this elephant was just too beautiful not to use for this piece!



Using a website I found, called pixlr, I edited the photo, mainly using the unsharp mask tool, which provided me with vibrant colours which would help when it comes to painting the elephant in an abstract, expressive manner



The piece is by Gayle Curry, found on pinterest. I chose this technique to emulate, obviously changing the colours to fit that of my edited picture. As mine is more close up, there will probably be more depth and detail, but the overall effect should be similar.



And finally...the progress so far! All I've done is drawn it up but I do looking forward to starting this, a completely new experience for me as a painter.





No comments:

Post a Comment