Monday, August 24, 2015

prep for college - 'Self Portrait in a Double Space'

As part of our summer project, my college set us the title Self Portrait in a Double Space, and detailing that it should be 50cm x 60cm and completed in oil. The title, however, was totally down to interpretation.

I have spent the summer attending galleries, sketching whenever I had the time, of others or myself in the mirror, as well as researching artists and producing reproductions.

I have settled on studying shadows, having been inspired by a piece by Murat Tezcan Demirbas, after seeing his submission to the BP Portrait Awards 2015.


I took some photographs last night. I wanted to focus mainly on the head and shoulders, making sure there was shadow cast not only on the contours of my face but also on the door behind. 




The artist who I have chosen to draw inspiration from is Jo Fraser. I particularly like her Sun in Edinburgh series, with a special preference to this piece, the third out of three in the series. 


Finally, I have decided to outline where the light hits my face and the shadow, in order that I can emulate this style as best as possible. 

As part of our brief, the piece specified that it be drawn from life, therefore I will be carrying it out in front of a mirror, using the photographs just as a secondary point of reference. 




Will keep this updated, as well as the elephant piece which is still in progress. 








No comments:

Post a Comment