Sunday, November 22, 2015

my latest work - jellyfish sculpture


I have recently been working on a sculpture of a bloom of jellyfish. 
To make these, I have used old plastic water bottles, removed the nozzle and cut the bottom off. With the remaining tube of plastic, I cut a line through it lengthways and then cut thin bands of plastic out of it.
Using a lighter, I melted the end of the bottle to deform it. This created the body of the jellyfish.
Similarly, I melted the bands of plastic which curled under the heat, to form the tentacles.
The jellyfish were then fused together with a glue gun.

the bands of plastic from the bottle which form the tentacles

the body of the jellyfish, contorted under heat



the jellyfish glued together








lit up using a small LED light







I hung the sculpture up from some pipes on the ceiling using just plastic wire and masking tape, so it is easily moved. I gluegunned the wire to the body of the jellyfish.


I shone a light on them using the flash on my phone. I love the colours, the vibrancy of the light and the intricate shadows on the wall behind. 









No comments:

Post a Comment